Mar 28, 2009

San Pedro de Atacama

The Atacama desert

I arrived in the town of San Pedro de Atacama at the height of their summer, and god was it oppressively hot, 35 Celsius during the day then getting close to 0 degrees during the night! The town itself is a total tourist trap (literally) as its a 2 hour bus ride to the nearest point of escape, the mining town of Calama. The hostels don't have kitchens, forcing people to eat at the massively over priced eateries, and I was told by the hostel staff not to think about using my camping stove within the town boundaries as I could be lynched!

The town itself is of no interest and has nothing other than restaurants and tour companies lining its streets. I hired a bike and explored the surroundings which are pretty impressive, though with the sweltering heat and beating sun is hard work and I drank nearly 5 litres of water.

I cycled up the aptly named Valle de la Muerta, which I think came close to claiming another victim. It may only be 4 or 5 km's long but trying to cycle up a slight incline in loose sand with the sun beating down on you is not easy, there is very little shelter and on a few occasions I was questioning my sanity. Though when you get to the top and get spectacular views over the barren wasteland that is the Atacama you are chuffed that you didn't just pack it in further back and freewheel back down to the pub.

Near the top of the aptly named Valley of the dead


Nothing for 100's of miles in every direction

These cliffs were creaking and moaning as the morning sun heated them up


Some caves I found on my bike ride


It sounds corny to say but the silence out here really is deafening


Dust storm rising as the sun goes down






1 comment:

Mat said...

that place looks awesome! didn't run into any sandpeople round there did you?